Our house is located in the national historic district of the village of Waterford Virginia. The house was built in 1861 by Robert W. Thomas a Waterford blacksmith who also ran the Waterford Hotel. He and his wife had eight children. Unfortunately his luck was bad, and his house was confiscated by the Confederacy and used as a hospital with household members caring for the sick. Waterford history [leave site]
The property was sold after the war for $700. The new owner, Samuel Steer, had rented the house during the war, when he moved his family from the country for safety. During the war, his daughter, Sarah, co-editied the fervently pro-Union Waterford News with her young neighbors, Lida and Lizzie Dutton. Later, Sarah Ann Steer was the first teacher at the new school for black children just down Second Street.
The house has its original metal roof as well as its original wood siding. It uses balloon framing which was the new way of constructing homes starting in the 1830's.
Help support this site by linking to Amazon from here
keywords: preserving old house, historic house, building, heritage building, historic buidling, heritage buildings, dyi, do it yurself, home improvement
keywords: old house, historic house, building; historic building, civil war, waterford virginia, waterford va